Friday, January 29, 2010

Off we chug again

After drinking approximately 300 cups of tea and surviving on a diet of carbs alongside more carbs my wee Scots lassie and I are driving off into the cold and pink sunset tonight.

We are Edinburgh bound - a whole 30 minute drive. After being in the UK for about three months I have got the hang of misinterpreting distance. The other night Moz's uncle referred to Cornwall as the end of the earth. This leaves little doubt that we will not be seeing them in Australia in a hurry. And this is despite me selling the halfway point (somewhere in south east Asia) as a weekend shopping stop.

After a weekend in Edinburgh we plan to head down to the borders (the area that unsurprisingly hosts the border of England and Scotland) and onto Newcastle for some walking and a catch up with Moz's old university friend. Then it's off to the Lake District for more walking then to see the fabulous Matt in Manchester.

Not that I've been a super wonderful regular and reliable blogger but I predict a proper lack of action in this space until we are back in London selling Vincent the van in a few months time.

Until then....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the comments that people posted below for entry 'Conundrums of a sustainable traveller'.

    I agree with Fleur that the various actions by governments such as carbon trading schemes have not done much apart from line pockets that already contain too much. And Simple Things is correct in pointing out the massive subsidies received by airlines around the world from governments.

    It might interest you to know that Lord Adonis (yes this is his real name and he is a UK MP) is fighting for high speed rail to compete with air travel for short haul trips in the UK. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/05/high-speed-rail-airline-flights
    A step in the right direction if it is successful.

    I suppose overall it just warms the cockles of my heart to know that all kinds of people from all kinds of places are choosing to live as lightly on the planet as they can despite the absolute failure of the world's supposed leaders to change things.

    I don't act the way I do believing that I'm contributing to the pitiful efforts of a failed economic system of governance.

    I understand that the people who will suffer most in a failing economy and a collapsing biosphere are the poor. But, I think these are also the most resilient people on the planet. So hypothetically, in the event of Hollywood style worldwide pandemonium who will be able to grow food, repair machinery and weave fabric?

    Not politicians and economists, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete